Tuesday 14 September 2021

The Recruiter’s Bias

Whether we like it or not, we all have biases and preferences. Plenty is written in Management theories on this topic.

The problem comes when our biases come in between hiring talent for our company. Especially such talent that may question our work and our inflated ego.

The question is, are we brave enough to admit? – ‘Yes, I am biased’.

I surveyed to check the reasons behind such biases. It was interesting to see that majority admitted that they have their ego precedes the talent when they recruit. People (CXO/VP/ Department heads/ Executives) from various departments, provided the following answers. 

1.       Profit: Do not know how to calculate the profit of a person’s hire. 
2       Insecurity: My insecurities
3.       Role: My role may become redundant
4.       Comfort: My comfort to hire a person
5.       Ignorance: Am I biased?
6.       Risk: I do not want to risk my job.
7.       Data: Hire on perception rather than facts
8.       Thinking: Conditioning.
9.       Policy: Company policy.
10.   Competition: Interested in competition rather than talent.
11.   Challenge: Do not want to challenge the recruitment practices.
12.   Reference: Hire based on references.
13.   Skills: Do not know how to calculate the value of the talent of a person.
14.   Preferences: Give more importance to the academic performance rather than what the person may know.
15.   Stereotype: Gender plays an important role while hiring.
16.   Ethical dilemma: There is a dilemma to put my role first or the company’s need.

 The question remains to be answered – Am I biased while recruiting? 

With Gratitude

Dr. Sonali Wagle

No comments:

Post a Comment