Monday 31 May 2021

Qualifications and Certifications, does it matter?

 At one point, I did dream of getting a Nobel prize in physics. I am always in awe of Nobel prize winners. I have followed them year after year. Nevertheless, I didn’t do much in physics. Having won numerous other awards and educational qualifications, I realized a few things ten years back.

1.    I was getting qualifications year after year. Many of which I didn’t even bother to mention.

2.    I was wearing a mask. A mask to prove myself to people/ colleagues/ clients/ bosses. Instead of being happy within, my energy, efforts went into making them happy.

3.    Making others happy came at a cost. A cost of frustration, jealousy, resentment, anger, guilt, blame, worry and tension.

4.    I was getting certifications. Don’t know how earning those, has helped me here in India. I have yet to figure it out. It came to a point where I felt enough is enough-when for a job interview the interviewer asked me, ‘Do you have _____ certification’. He named few certifications. I told him that he had my resume already. I had written all my qualifications, certifications in it. Then if I did not possess the certifications they expected in the candidate, why did they call me and wasted my time. Are they even looking at the qualifications and certifications I have?

I realized that people most of the time point out the things you don’t have rather than what you have. “Oh, you only have these qualifications, you don’t have those qualifications”. Full stop. I realized that I need to refabricate and use the qualifications and certifications I have because no matter what I had there will be a set of people who will demand more.

Being in the OD/ HR/ L&D area and mindfulness coach, my main aim is to make my clients understand that happiness is the key. I work with clients to achieve mindfulness, which in turn will create value in their personal and professional life. It increases productivity, effectiveness, better decision-making, and better risk analysis.

And mind you, being mindful does earn sufficient money and far more, and the way you want to earn it. Being mindful, you do not have to worry about what people think. You know your job and you know for sure that your productivity and efficiency have increased.

So do I have a qualification in Mindfulness? Technically, yes, I do. I have already completed my basic, advance, Abhidhamma (all three levels completed) in Vipassana theory and practice to understand and dive deep into mindfulness. Do I need more certifications? No, what I need is how do I practice the skills I have gained over the years.

 Have your qualifications and certifications helped you and in what way? Why are you earning those in the first place? Qualifications and certifications, do they matter, and to what extent?

 With gratitude

Sonali Wagle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment